I have been getting a large box of vegetables every Tuesday evening. It's an attempt to eat both locally AND more healthy. Bonus is that I don't have to go grocery shopping as often. One downfall is that I'm not on the best of terms with vegetables, especially the ones they have filled the box with. I'm trying to find new recipies so that I can handle eating mizuna or peppers or turnips every week.
One of the coolest recipies I just came up with is one for beets. I was given a bunch of golden beets 2 Tuesdays ago... they sat in the crisper drawer ever since. I finally decided today to try to work something out. I previously had a fantastic beet and yogurt soup that was made by my dear ex-neighbor CC (in boston), but I unfortunately don't have access to the recipe right now (boxes and boxes of stuff still left to unpack). So, I winged it and altered the recipe into a beet salad. I think that it actually turned out pretty well.
1 bunch golden beets
2 smaller carrots
a chunk of celery root (maybe 1/4 cup?)
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 cup greek yogurt
minced, dried onion (I didn't have any fresh stuff)
dill
Peel and dice the beets, carrots, celery root, and garlic, then put them in enough water to cover and boil until tender. While the veggies are boiling, place the onion and dill in the yogurt and stir to mix. When veggies are tender, drain, then place them into a food processor and pulse grind them into a paste. Mix in yogurt/onion/dill and chill.
I didn't season the veggies--the mix has a great taste all on it's own. The yellow beet flavor is mild and, on the whole, this beet salad turned out really well. Here is a picture of the salad (yellow) with some heirloom tomatoes, avacado, and more fresh yogurt--yum, what a good lunch!
No comments:
Post a Comment