As opposed to the acrylics course, this instructor seems to really know his stuff. His lesson was direct and instructional. He made good points as he walked around and looked at student paintings. He also had MANY returning students who all seemed really excited to be there. They were mostly more mature women, and they liked to joke a lot, so I had a lot of fun just listening while we painted.
The class will apparently consist of still life paintings during class and homework paintings during the week. This week's still life was fruit (apples, pears, and a grapefruit). Next week's homework is "Morning Sky". We can interpret that any way we want to... the only requirement is to paint it.
Comparing and contrasting watercolor and acrylics, watercolor seems harder. The paints are less forgiving, and mistakes can't be masked over with more layers of paint. I had a lot of trepidation during the painting process as opposed to painting with acrylics.You also have more drying time needed during any given painting session. This season's course will apparently be about wet-on-wet watercolor painting, which is actually very hard. But having said that, I think I really like watercolor a lot. We'll see how I feel 8 weeks from now, after I've painted a while in both mediums.
We were encouraged to sketch the composition of the painting first, then paint. The instructor also took a bit of time to show the difference between dry brush painting and wet-on-wet painting, so we only had about 90 min or so to paint. I didn't come close to finishing the painting, so I took a picture of the still life with my cell phone. Here is the cell phone pic of the still life and a pic of what my painting looks like so far. You can see that I left out 3 of the 5 fruit and I moved the 2 apples together in my composition. You can also see that I have quite a bit more to paint in order to finish the picture. I'll post it again once I've finished it up.

Where is your finished painting?
ReplyDelete